The deliciousness of these vegetarian carob brownies are unsurpassed by any other carob-y gooey goodness in the history of forever. You can make them vegan by subbing margarine for butter.
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup carob powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/2 cups unbleached whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup applesauce
1 mashed banana
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup hemp milk (or soy… but hemp is good and good for you!)
3/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup vegan carob chips
Makes more brownies than you really should eat by yourself in one sitting…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients except carob chips, starting with the wet stuff and progressing to the dry. Add the carob powder a little bit at a time so it doesn’t go everywhere and get into your lungs when you start mixing.
- Spoon batter into greased 9×12 inch pan (or muffin tray).
- Top with carob chips and whatever other toppings you feel are worthy enough to grace these brownies.
- Check with fork after 15 minutes, bake for approximately 20 minutes (until fork comes out clean).
- Try not to eat them all yourself.